About Chetson Hiltzheimer, PLLC
First and foremost, we are trial lawyers.
Chetson Hiltzheimer is a law firm with offices in Raleigh and Durham, North Carolina. We represent individuals charged with crimes, and individuals injured as a result of the negligence of others. We are committed to providing the highest level of service to our clients, and make ourselves available days, nights, and weekends to make certain that each client is satisfied with our work on your case. With Chetson Hiltzheimer, you will have the cellphone number of your own lawyer and you will be able to reach him when you need him.
Our criminal practice focuses on representing individuals charged with DWI (driving while impaired, or drunk driving, also known as DUI in other states), drug possession and distribution, assault, gun charges, and the entire spectrum of criminal charges, up to and including first degree murder. Whatever the charge, whether misdemeanor or felony, a lawyer from Chetson Hiltzheimer will zealously advocate on your behalf and fight for your rights both in and out of court. We will work hard to achieve the best possible outcome in every case, and our clients are always our top priority.
Our civil practice focuses on representing people who have been injured as a result of the negligence of others. Whether you were injured in a vehicle accident, or slipped and fell in a store as a result of the owner’s negligence, or were harmed by a botched medical procedure or defective product, we will look out for your interests and do everything in our power to make you whole — by making them pay.
Attorney Benjamin (Ben) Hiltzheimer
Ben is an experienced trial lawyer who earned his law degree from The George Washington University in Washington, D.C. He was trained in trial practice at the nation’s preeminent Public Defender agency, the federally funded Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia, described by United States Attorney General Eric Holder as “the best public defender office in the country.”
From 2006 to 2011, Ben was employed as an attorney at the Public Defender Service, including two years in a targeted litigation role focusing on complex forensics and systemic criminal justice issues in partnership with the Innocence Project, prior to transitioning that experience into the role of trial attorney. In his capacity as trial attorney at the Public Defender Service, he represented indigent individuals charged with felonies in the District of Columbia, from their initial appearance in Superior Court through trial. He has a proven track record of achieving excellent results in front of juries and judges, and is committed to advocacy on behalf of his clients in the face of the substantial power of governments and corporations. Ben has devoted his entire legal career to representing individuals, and has never worked for the other side.
Ben currently lives with his wife and three children in Durham, North Carolina.
- Partner: Chetson Hiltzheimer, PLLC, 2016-Present
- Founder/Attorney: The Hiltzheimer Firm, PLLC, 2011-2016
- Staff Attorney, Trial Division: The Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia, 2008-2011
- Special Litigation and Forensics Fellow (Attorney), The Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia, 2006-2008
- Federal Courts: Eastern and Middle Districts of North Carolina
- North Carolina
- California (inactive)
- District of Columbia (inactive)
- J.D., The George Washington University, 2006
- B.A., Philosophy, University of Georgia, 1999
- B.A., Cognitive Science, University of Georgia, 1999
Awards & Recognition:
- Attorney At Law Magazine Criminal Defense Attorney of the Month
- National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- National Trial Lawyers Top 40 under 40
- American Society of Legal Advocates Top 40 under 40
- Avvo Clients’ Choice Award 2013, 2015
- 10th Judicial District Bar Association
- National College for DUI Defense