About Hiltzheimer Law Office, PLLC
We are a criminal defense law firm, and we are committed to providing the highest level of service to our clients. We make ourselves available days, nights, and weekends to make certain that each client is satisfied with our work on your case. With Hiltzheimer Law Office, you will have the cellphone number of your own lawyer and you will be able to reach him when you need him.
Our criminal practice focuses on representing individuals charged with DWI (driving while impaired, or drunk driving, also known as DUI in other states), drug possession and distribution, assault, gun charges, and the entire spectrum of criminal charges, up to and including first degree murder. Whatever the charge, whether misdemeanor or felony, a lawyer from Hiltzheimer Law Office will zealously advocate on your behalf and fight for your rights both in and out of court. We will work hard to achieve the best possible outcome in every case, and our clients are always our top priority.
ATTORNEY BENJAMIN (BEN) HILTZHEIMER
Ben is an experienced trial lawyer who earned his law degree from The George Washington University in Washington, D.C. He was trained in trial practice at the nation’s preeminent Public Defender agency, the federally funded Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia, described by United States Attorney General Eric Holder as “the best public defender office in the country.”
From 2006 to 2011, Ben was employed as an attorney at the Public Defender Service, including two years in a targeted litigation role focusing on complex forensics and systemic criminal justice issues in partnership with the Innocence Project, prior to transitioning that experience into the role of trial attorney. In his capacity as trial attorney at the Public Defender Service, he represented indigent individuals charged with felonies in the District of Columbia, from their initial appearance in Superior Court through trial. He has a proven track record of achieving excellent results in front of juries and judges, and is committed to advocacy on behalf of his clients in the face of the substantial power of state and federal governments. Ben has devoted his entire legal career to representing individuals, and has never worked for the other side.
Ben currently lives with his wife and three children in Carrboro.
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice
- Criminal Defense Section Member
- 16th Judicial District Bar Association
- Owner/Managing Partner: Hiltzheimer Law Office, PLLC, 2011-Present
- Staff Attorney, Trial Division: The Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia, 2008-2011
- Special Litigation and Forensics Fellow (Attorney), The Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia, 2006-2008
Awards & Recognition:
- 2019 Rising Star, North Carolina Advocates for Justice
- Attorney At Law Magazine Criminal Defense Attorney of the Month
- National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- National Trial Lawyers Top 40 under 40
- American Society of Legal Advocates Top 40 under 40
- Avvo Clients’ Choice Award 2013, 2015
- J.D., The George Washington University, 2006
- B.A., Philosophy, University of Georgia, 1999
- B.A., Cognitive Science, University of Georgia, 1999
- Federal Courts: Eastern and Middle Districts of North Carolina
- North Carolina
- California (Inactive Status)
- District of Columbia (Retired Status)
PARALEGAL & OFFICE MANAGER
Amy has a degree in Paralegal Technology and serves as an all-purpose office manager for the firm. Amy is also a veteran of the Air Force where she served as a Public Health Specialist for the Airmen of the United States. When Amy is not keeping the firm organized and making our clients’ lives easier, she loves to spend time traveling and hanging with her family. Amy lives in Cary with her husband and four adorable pets.